Customer ServiceContact Us

Detroit Refinery: Detroit, Michigan

  • Site: Located in southwest Detroit on approximately 250 acres
  • History: Built in 1930 by the Aurora Gasoline Company and purchased in 1959 by MPC (then The Ohio Oil Co.) from the late philanthropist Max Fisher. It is the only petroleum refinery in Michigan today. In 2012, the company completed the Detroit Heavy Oil Upgrade Project (DHOUP), which enabled the refinery to process up to an additional 80,000 barrels per day of heavy sour crude oils, including Canadian crude oils. Through a property purchase program, MPC purchased many of the residential properties in a neighborhood adjacent to the refinery and maintains the area as a green space available for public use.
  • Refining Capacity: 139,000 barrels per calendar day
  • Crude Oil Supply: Sweet and heavy sour crude oils
  • Operations: Crude distillation, catalytic cracking, hydrotreating, reforming, alkylation, sulfur recovery, and coking
  • Products: Gasoline, distillates, asphalt, fuel-grade coke, chemical-grade propylene, propane and slurry
  • Product Distribution: Pipeline, transport truck, rail and barge
  • Employment: Approximately 540 employees


Detroit Refinery Fact Sheet

 

For additional details on safety & environmental stewardship and community involvement, download the Detroit Refinery Fact Sheet

Acrobat Reader download